Friday, February 8, 2013

My First Sewing Project

So remember when I said that I procrastinate studying and homework? Well it's very easy when you have other fun and exciting things to do...like learn to sew! I could've started studying for my midterms next week, but this was too tempting. I caved. Cait made a cute dog bed for Tess last week and she offered to teach me how to make one. So from 5:30 pm till 11:00 pm last night, that's what we did. Rue already has a dog bed but for some reason, she only likes to use it downstairs. So this one will stay upstairs! We'll see how that works out. 

Cait was so patient and is such a good teacher. She answered my incessant questions and was very confident in my abilities. I've always been petrified of sewing machines, but it was a lot of fun once I became a little more comfortable with it. 

So we actually made the pillow and stuffed it, instead of just buying one already made. Cait saw a genius idea on Pinterest of using tissue pattern to draw out patterns. This part took the longest. I was using the slowest setting on the machine. 


Cait cut the fleece while I finished the pillow and then it was time sew the outside pieces together. I let her do the zipper though. I'm still too much of a noob to attempt that! Everything cost about $30 (which is pretty good for such a large dog bed), but I had leftover fabric so maybe I can make a blanket, too! I was so happy with the finished product. And Rue definitely loved it as well. She loves loves loves pillows and all things soft. And so far, she's used it much more upstairs than her other dog bed. Weird pup. 



I had a lot of fun making it and I hope this is a start to me really learning how to sew. I couldn't have done it without Cait, telling me what to do every step of the way and watching me. She taught herself how to do all this stuff. Impressive! I also had a ton of fun with Cait (and Chloe too while she was there). We just chatted away the entire time. I'm glad that we're friends beyond the fact that she's Blaine's friend from Delaware :) 

1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun! You did a great job! And by teaching you, it taught me a lot! Destin's zipper turned out a lot better because of the practice on yours! Plus his corners turned out good too, because of me teaching you your corners. Now I get how to do it a lot more. Thanks for coming over and playing!

    ReplyDelete