Friday, October 5, 2012

Operation Smile 5k

Last Saturday, I ran my second 5k with Mechaella. Kailyn was supposed to run with us, but she was hurt from the last 5k! We missed her! 

This race was at Mt. Timpanogos Park in the canyon. It was for Operation Smile, an international organization that benefits children with cleft lip and cleft palate. I really wanted to run this race since Blaine's sister, Kerri, and her daughter, Lexi had cleft lip and cleft palate. Lexi is constantly having surgeries since she is growing and she needs to have her bones grafted. She is the toughest 9-year old I know. When I was running and got super tired, I just thought of her strength! I also really wanted to run a race on this day because my sister, Damaris, was running her first 5k. Even though we're separated by distance, we find ways to motivate each other and do things together. Knowing that she had ran a 5k that day (it was at a much earlier time than my race) made it easier for me to run, too!



The course was really beautiful, but it was hard. To get to the starting line, we had to hike 10 minutes up the canyon. By the time we started, I was tired out from the hike! The course was half trail-running along a dirt trail in the mountains and half paved sidewalk along the Provo River Trail. Before this race, I hadn't ran on a dirt trail or in the mountains. There were some pretty steep inclines that were hard. The elevation didn't help either. Seeing the leaves that were changing colors and the sun's rays behind the mountains made it easier and more enjoyable. The mountains did provide us with shade, as well as the trees along the sidewalk. So that was nice. Just before the halfway point, there was this rocky switchback section that descended down to the Provo River Parkway. It was so narrow! We had to walk this part because it was so rocky and steep! 

We finished this race in 36:14. The little rocky section, the elevation, and the inclines definitely added to my time. I thought I was going to be disappointed since it was more than my last 5k, but I was happy to be done! I was so tired the rest of the day, and I still needed to pull off Blaine's surprise birthday party! But it was worth it. The more I run, the more I enjoy it! I started training for 10ks this week, but there aren't any 10ks coming up in my area till March. But by then, I hope to be running 13.1 miles (yes, half marathon status). We will see if I can meet my goal! 

Not an exciting or great video, but we were reaching the finish line!


Hopefully, the next 5k I run will be a "normal" one - no sand and no dirt trails in the mountains, please!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Daylin! You will definitely be able to hit that half-marathon in March! I felt the same while I was training for my first, and now I'm working on a marathon in January! If you can do hills and mountains, distance is a snap! :) Good luck! - Ashley Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and motivation, Ashley! You're so sweet! Good luck on your first marathon!

      Delete
  2. Go Daylin!!!! :)


    PS
    i have that top too! great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete