Thursday, September 13, 2012

Our New Place

This weekend we make 1 month of moving in. It's crazy how fast time flies! So we had a hard time finding housing that allowed Rue. So we ended up in a place that is pretty big (much bigger than we need). It's a nice change from our little apartment before, but I just feel weird having a 3 bedroom/1.5 bath. I don't even know what to do with the 2 other bedrooms. I'm thinking of making one into an office room, but still. If we had all the money in the world, I'd try making the third bedroom a guest bedroom. But since we're only going to be here till April, there really is not point in spending the money and having more things to move once we graduate. 

The extra space is awesome. We have tons of storage. We are about a 20 minute walk to campus that isn't bad at all. We live in a pretty central location. We love it. It's so close to Blaine's job, school, the mall, and a bunch of other things. We also have a little backyard that is awesome for Rue. Our living room is pretty much the same size as our last. The kitchen is much bigger but I really miss our counter! But I do have space to put all of my kitchen gadgets on display and easily accessible. We also have a small pantry. Our bedroom is great. I don't have to sleep with the bed along the wall so I don't have to roll over Blaine to get out of bed. Our closets also have built-in organizers which I love. Oh, and possibly my favorite part of it all - we have a washer and dryer! But to add to all the wonderful things that we do love about this place, we live 40-something steps to our best friends, Matt and Nina. We go to the same ward and see them even more than before! And now when I want to hang out with Nina and we're both carless, we can just walk to see each other! 

This moving experience has been much different than the last. In our last place, we were buying things with the space we had in mind. It has been interesting trying to figure out where certain things go. It's silly to think that these things make a difference but they do. For example, all of my bathroom decorations are blue. Thank goodness the walls here were painted a light blue already. Imagine if they were orange or pink or red? You get the picture. It would look horrible! And I wouldn't be able to change my bathroom decorations or the paint. So I can see how some people just want to throw away half of their things when they move and start fresh. But everything has worked out great and we are so happy that we found a place that allows our little Rue.


A good example of not having places for things or vice versa is that I didn't have a drawer in the kitchen that fit all of my kitchen utensils. I did have one in our last place, so we had no need for a crock. Even though I have some cabinets that are basically empty, none of them were a good spot for our kitchen utensils. Our solution - buy a crock. Now, we are trying to be better on budgeting and saving money. So instead of buying this one that I wanted so much, Blaine suggested going to the DI and making one work with our kitchen. We found a huge one for a $1, bought some spray paint for $2 and made a colorful crock for our kitchen! While I was at JoAnn's buying the spray paint, I bought cardboard letters to spray paint as well (I can't let spray paint go to waste - who does that?). For $9, I ended up having an awesome crock and some letters to decorate the top of our kitchen cabinets. I was pretty happy. I love spray-painting :) 




We are still trying to unpack little things and getting completely settled, but we're basically moved in. We really love it here. I will post more pictures of the rest of the place as I take them. Can you tell how happy Blaine is to cook in our new kitchen?


No comments:

Post a Comment