Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Minky Quilt

This past weekend we visited Blaine's family in Idaho for Father's Day. We had a great time hearing the grandparents tell stories (as usual) and eating Aunt Jan's yummilicious food. We also had the privilege of hearing Aunt Jan and Lynn speak during sacrament. They both gave great talks on fatherhood and the important fathers and father figures in their lives.

Besides being with family, my favorite part of the trip was getting my minky quilt! Aunt Jan made this for me as a bridal shower present. And it was SO worth the wait. Since the first day I met Aunt Jan, I've always wanted a homemade quilt. She made one for Blaine and it's his absolute favorite. But she one-upped mine with minky. Minky is this super soft fabric that is relatively new. I picked out the colors and strips back in March when we visited. It matches my living room perfectly. I always like having a blanket or throw in the living room. It's perfect for when we watch a movie or want to take an afternoon nap without ruining the already-made bed. This one replaced our Redskins blanket. Thank goodness. Unless it's football season, there shouldn't be anything visible of the NFL in our home. Anyway, this quilt is HUGE. It can fit like 3 of me in there. My feet never stick out :) As short as I am, this still happens to me sometimes. I tried getting a picture of me holding it up but I can't hold it up high enough.

Blaine's mom made those state pillows for my birthday :)
I wish I lived closer to Aunt Jan. She is an expert seamstress, cook and homemaker. I really really want to learn how to sew but #1 I have no sewing machine, #2 I have no space for a sewing machine, and #3 I don't know how. Aunt Jan tries teaching me a little bit when I'm over but I need to be constantly practicing in order to get it right.

Anyway, this quilt is so awesome that, yes, it deserved it's own post. If you don't believe me, go to a store and feel some minky. You'll find yourself running your fingers across the fabric for a couple of minutes!




2 comments: