Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Convolvuluses

Growing up, I hated house plants and any type of plant really. I've always loved flowers, especially when they were given to me after a dance recital or when they were fresh in a vase in my room. But other than that, I always complained about my grandma's and mom's house plants. I felt that they brought creepy-crawling things inside the house! Yuck. Anyway, my mom also did the landscaping in our front yard. She was great at it. But the only thing I remembered was how much hard work it was! Hence the dislike for gardening. 

But now, I am becoming more and more "domesticated" (as my brother-in-law Chris would say). A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted some living thing adorning the outside of our apartment...since Blaine hasn't proven to be the flower-buying type of guy. Joke joke. Everybody in our apartment complex has some sort of plant outside. So I had to choose between buying a beautiful flower already in bloom or trying to grow some myself. I took the road less traveled. Ha. So brave.  

So I bought three pots (black, white & red to match our living room :]), some potting soil, and some of these seeds at Lowe's. I really didn't know what to do. I just put the seeds in there and have been watering them everyday. The packet of seeds claims that buds appear between 7-21 days. I watched and watched and even talked to my flowers a little. Weird. I know. I felt like Horton talking to his speck. But my boss at work does it and her plants are beautiful! Anyway, I was becoming a little discouraged. When I returned from our trip to San Diego, I spotted teeny, tiny green things in MY pots. Oh the joy. I never thought I'd be so excited about planting anything in my life. But, I must admit, there is something relaxing and nurturing about planting and the nurturing that comes along with it. So I'll be posting pics as they continue growing. Hopefully, I'll be successful in this new endeavor. Abuela would be so proud. She had a beautiful orchard garden along the side of our house. 


I wish I had some space to do some square-foot gardening or something. Not only is it super cool to eat things grown out of your backyard, I'm sure it's better than what we buy in the store and also a counsel from our latter-day prophets! One day I'll be able to do that. Stacey & Chris have the nicest little garden in their hot and dry, Vegas backyard. Every time we're over, we have something from the garden at dinner! I love it. 

So stay tuned for more updates on my little blue convolvuluses!

The ones in the black pot seem to be doing the best. 

3 comments:

  1. I love flowers and plants. I tried growing some a few months ago, but ended killing them. Gardening is not my forte!
    I hope you have much better luck than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ever pictured you gardening but I guess times have changed. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crossing my fingers that they don't die! I'd be so sad lol. Thanks Val!

    Yes Damaris they have lol.

    ReplyDelete