Monday, June 27, 2011

Callings...

Blaine and I go to church at 2:30 PM - way late. So there are some pros and cons. If we want to be extremely irresponsible and stay up late watching 24 on Saturday night, we can sleep in. But then the whole day goes by super fast. Church ends at 5:30 PM, we eat dinner, and have to get ready for the upcoming week. When we first moved into the ward, Blaine immediately thought about football season. Games and church would happen around the same time. He knows which one we're choosing. But being the boy and sports fan that he is, he began to think of ways that we could avoid this. The best option he could find was attending a Spanish ward that started earlier. But to his relief, we just found out that church will start at 8:30 AM come fall semester. We'll be out by 11:30 AM (early kickoff) and Blaine's precious football season is saved (if there even is a football season...)

Anyway, there are some Sunday's that are great...like this last one. We woke up early. Blaine did his home-teaching while I did my visiting teaching. I finished a little earlier than he did and started making some chicken noodle soup for dinner. I was able to read the Ensign and a couple of chapters from The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister (amazing book). It was relaxing and it really felt like a Christ-centered Sabbath day. Before church, our home teachers came over and taught us a great lesson on the blessings of tithing. My visiting teachers also came over after church.

I had to be at church a little earlier for an interview with Bishop Dorais. So I was really excited because I kinda feel weird when I don't have a calling. I kept on thinking of all the possibilities. To my surprise, I was called as the Relief Society chorister. Why is this surprising? Well, I've been a chorister a couple of times. In my home ward, I was the substitute chorister when our cute old lady chorister was sick. In my YSA branch, I was the branch chorister while my sister was the pianist (neat experience). I enjoy directing music. I know the basics. But that's it. I don't have an extensive knowledge of music. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with the greatest voice. Provo, and particularly my ward, is full of super musically talented individuals. So I guess my weakness will be made strong? Probably not. 


Nonetheless, I am really excited to serve and magnify this calling. I love the hymns and have a strong testimony of their importance and influence in my life. Hopefully, I'll be able to hit those notes and lead the lovely ladies of the Relief Society and learn more about the Lord's music along the way!

1 comment:

  1. You know music!!!! Hello we play instruments!!! Lol :) and we made it to the honors festival lol.

    ReplyDelete