Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DIY Madness

So I am struggling with all of this DIY stuff. There are SO many ideas, SO many styles and SO little time. And in my case, SO little space. I always find awesome things to do, especially for the home, but I just can't do it all. Besides the fact that I'm a busy college kid, there are just too many ideas out there and if you get too crazy, your humble abode can get tacky real fast. That's a huge fear of mine.

For example, now that I have my first Cricut, I can make my own vinyls. I haven't made any yet but I'm already scared of going vinyl crazy. I have one that I bought in my bathroom and I love it. I want one in my kitchen and maybe a small one in my living room. But those two spaces are so close together, that I'm afraid there will be too many words on the walls. I like vinyls because they add color to white spaces (we can't paint our apartment). But I do not like stepping into a house and experiencing vinyl overload. Having a ton of words on the walls is so distracting! So anyway, I just have to be careful...

I have left over teacups and saucers from the centerpieces of my wedding. They're really pretty and super vintage. They're just taking up space and sitting on one of my kitchen shelves. I'll probably never use them. I've kept them because they're really nice and because you never know when they'd come in handy. My mom keeps everything and always finds a use for stuff. But they're kinda bugging me now. I only have so much space to just keep stuff around. I've thought about turning them into candles. But then again, as much as I love the vintage look, my house is currently on the modern side. So if I do that, there'd be a style clash. I'm thinking of gifting them but I don't know yet. I want to make so many things but sometimes you just have to pick and choose. I really do believe that simplicity is better than clutter and that less is more.

Also, sometimes I see people make something that isn't worth doing it yourself. Although I love the DIY concept, somethings are just better when they're bought! Like it's probably more expensive to make it yourself and more time consuming than if you just went ahead and bought it. Sometimes I get caught up in this phase too. I have to step back and analyze each project to see if it's even worth making. And there are other times where you do it just for fun - not because of the price. And that's cool too. But some of these women are just going crazy with the whole DIY and turning it into something more complicated than it really is. DIY projects should bring peace and simplicity into your life.

Anyway, if you ever see me going DIY crazy - please let me know. I don't think it's healthy :)

Hope you're having a good day!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on everything that was said!! lol Man, we're sisters huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Yah kinda like super sisters that share a brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true! DIY stuff is so much fun! But too much is not so cute lol it's hard when we have small living spaces it can look overcrowd fast. I too like simplicity, too much thing on walls makes crowed! Less is more.

    ReplyDelete