Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Run for Rachel

 Last Saturday, I ran another 5k with Kailyn. She was supposed to run Operation Smile with me and Mechaella, but her knee was hurting really bad since our 1st 5k in September. She invited me to run this 5k with her, regardless of how her knee was feeling. This 5k was for Rachel Stratton, a 17 year-old senior at Orem High that has been recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, specifically a tumor on her brain stem. She has been best friends with Kailyn's little sister forever. I had been slacking on running for 2 weeks and really wasn't up for it, but how can you say no? Also, if Kailyn was going to be running it with her messed-up knee, I knew I could do it too.

It was pretty chilly Saturday morning. When we arrived at the high school, it was in the 30s. Crazy. But once we started running, it wasn't that bad. This was the first 5k that I really didn't walk any of it. I stopped a couple of seconds to check on Kailyn or to get back on pace together, but that was about it. Also, this was my first 5k where I felt that I could've continued running once it was over. I wasn't exhausted and felt great. And Kailyn did great, too! Her knee did much better than she thought. I guess this means that we can run more 5ks together! :)

I finally beat my best time: my first 5k I ran it in 32:08, second 5k - 36:14, third 5k - 35:40 and now I ran this 5k in 30:57! Now I have a new time to beat! I'm finally getting closer to that 10-minute mile. It definitely helped that Rachel was running the 5k and was ahead of us the whole time. It also helped that Kailyn's mom ran it, too, and kept a steady pace in front of me. I can only hope to be running at her age!

We forgot to take a picture together,
so a picture of my bib will have to do. 
Afterwards, Kailyn treated me to a yummy french toast breakfast at Kneaders! I hadn't been since we've been back. Kneaders is one of those places that I'll definitely miss if/when we leave Utah. Since Blaine was working and Ryan was studying for the LSAT, it was the perfect opportunity to have some girl time. I'm so glad that Ryan married a girl that I can actually be friends with. Since we've been married and since I've been in Utah, it has been hard to find couples to hang out with. Sometimes, I like the girl but Blaine doesn't like the boy and vice versa. To find a couple that we each get along with is great. But when one of Blaine's friends marries a girl that actually becomes my good friend, it's a blessing. I'm so grateful for my friendship with Kailyn! Unfortunately, I know that law school and life after graduation will probably pull us in different directions. I'll miss her more than I''ll miss Kneaders!


It was a great Saturday morning. Even though this is ambitious, I'm going to try to improve my time on my next 5k (Provo's Cold Turkey Run against smoking) on November 17th. It's free and you can still sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment