Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grateful

Last year, my old institute teacher, Brother Hilton, published a small article in the Ensign for the youth and children called "Take the Gratitude Challenge." He suggested that they should write 100 things they are grateful for. One hundred sounds like a lot, but when I did it, I felt like I could write another 100 things. What made it easier was that he had different categories in units of 10. I loved it so much, that I'm doing it again this year. Once you get started, it's hard to stop because you realize how much you have to be grateful for! It's definitely a good way to count your blessings!

10 physical abilities I am grateful for:
  • running
  • sleeping
  • eating
  • smiling
  • laughing
  • hearing
  • seeing
  • smelling
  • talking
  • reading
10 SILLY physical abilities I am grateful for - I decided to skip this category and just add some more to other categories, but it's definitely a fun one for kids!

10 material possessions I am grateful for:
  • iPhones
  • Yankee candles
  • All books
  • my wedding ring
  • Downeast basics wonder tees
  • shoes
  • clothes
  • watches
  • chapstick
  • my trusty agenda
10 living people I am grateful for:
  • Jesus Christ, the Savior
  • Blaine
  • Damaris
  • Mami
  • Tia
  • Rue (we treat her like a person, it counts!)
  • Papo
  • Ulises
  • Abuelo
  • Eileen
  • Keith
  • Stacey, Chris, Miles, Tyson, Trey & their future siblings
  • Uli & Yuyo
  • Bruce
  • Poppy & Grandma Sepulveda
  • Grandmom & PopPop
  • Aunt Jan & Uncle Lynn
  • Kristin
  • Kimberly & Jonathan
  • Mechaella
  • Nina & Matt (Luna, too)
  • Claudia
  • Michele
  • Kailyn & Ryan
  • Do I have to stop? I've been so blessed with so many good friends and family! There are 48 people in total in Blaine's family. So I'm grateful for each and every one of them!

10 deceased people I am grateful for
  • Abuela
  • Joseph Smith
  • George Washington & the rest of the Founding Fathers
  • Steve Jobs
  • Abinadi
  • Pioneers who sacrificed so much for the gospel
  • Soldiers who have served our country
  • Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Isabel Armas Cruz (great grandmother)
  • Christopher Columbus
  • Jose Marti
Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for
  • the warm sun
  • sandy beaches with clear blue water
  • autumn leaves
  • ocean breeze
  • flowers of all kinds
  • green grass
  • butterflies
  • majestic mountains
  • pine trees
  • palm trees
10 things about today I am grateful for
  • our upcoming graduation in April
  • job offers
  • getting new tires on our car
  • sleeping-in
  • clean drinking water
  • I hit my head on a sharp edge and didn't need stitches! (Just have a big bump on my forehead).
  • the end of the semester fast-approaching
  • Redskins win against the Cowboys! Hail to the Redskins!
  • Having family close in Idaho to spend Thanksgiving with
  • Phone calls and text messages from friends and family
  • double-ovens
  • music
10 places on earth I am grateful for
  • Miami
  • Delaware
  • Spain
  • Temples
  • The Sacred Grove
  • Gethsemane
  • Cuba
  • New York City
  • Disney World!
  • BYU 
  • Provo
  • Declo Idaho
  • libraries
10 modern inventions I am grateful for
  • FaceTime & Skype
  • cars
  • central air & heating
  • computers
  • vaccinations
  • cellphones
  • e-readers
  • cameras
  • electricity
  • modern farming equipment
  • dishwashers
  • washer & dryer
10 foods I am grateful for
  • pastelitos & other bakery goods
  • coconut cream pies
  • all Cuban food
  • Madagascar vanilla bean paste
  • CHOCOLATE
  • Sonic slushes
  • bananas
  • cauliflower
  • Philly cheesesteaks
  • BYU chocolate milk
  • arepas
  • soup
10 things about the gospel I am grateful for
  • the scriptures
  • General Conference
  • President Monson, our living prophet
  • temples
  • covenants
  • patriarchal blessings
  • the priesthood
  • eternal families
  • service
  • the Atonement
  • missionary work & those young men and women who serve
  • the Holy Ghost
  • hymns
How grateful am I for the wonderful life that I have. I feel so blessed on this Thanksgiving Day!

2 comments: