Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Point Half


So this was absolutely insane of me to do, but I signed up for a half the day after graduation. I really don't know what I was thinking when I signed up! I was only able to run twice in  April before the half. I was so busy with packing and studying for finals that it was impossible to train. Even then, I was keeping up my pace so I wasn't too scared. But I did no distance training whatsoever. I wanted to finish under 2:20 for sure. But it didn't end up that way at all! 
At the start of the race
My sister also ran this half and even though we didn't plan on running it together, we met up halfway during the race. She was sick the day of and also didn't train much because she was super busy working full-time and studying 30+ hours a week for her CPA exam that she took the day before flying to Utah. Yeah, we're a bunch of crazies. But anyway, I was worried that she was going to have a hard time being sick and dealing with the elevation change, but she did great! The first 6 miles were great for me, I kept at 9:00 minute-mile pace easily minus taking several unexpected bathroom breaks due to an upset stomach (my luck). But once we entered the golf course area, it was hell. The vertical changes were ridiculous. It was all super steep hills from then on. It killed me! But the run was really nice in the sense that it was super peaceful (running through beautiful gardens in gorgeous weather) and it was a relatively small race (nothing compared to the craziness during the Disney princess half). It was quiet and serene. So I'm glad that I did it even though I finished way after what I wanted (2:47 - yah). Anyway, it was better than the princess half so I guess I have a new PR :) Now I just have to beat this one and meet my goal of under 2:20 by the end of this year. My sister finished 1 minute after me so she has a new PR too! And it was really nice to run half of the race together. Also, I really wanted to get a medal from a Utah race before moving. That was my greatest motivation to run!

Almost at the finish line - thank goodness
With our medals
Our biggest supporter
My mom was our only spectator since Blaine stayed at home with his parents to pack the rest of our place (I felt bad leaving them working! :[ ) But I'm really grateful for their help! I couldn't have ran without them packing so much for me! After the race, we had free passes to Tulip Festival so we did that for a little bit before leaving. We were exhausted so we didn't walk all of it (since Damaris and I already saw it during our run) but it was really fun and beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment