Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blaine's 24!

Another year has gone by and Blaine's another year older! I've seen him grow from a 19 year old greenie to a full-fledged man! (Well, kind of). As I've done in the past for other VIP's in my life, I'll share 24 things about Blaine that I celebrate not just on his birthday, but everyday that we're together.

1. He's a kid at heart. He acts like he's never played a video game before when he gets a new one. He likes Nerf guns and randomly attacking me, chasing me around our 500 sq. foot apartment. Fun. He loves Disney World and never gets tired of going. 


2. He's smart! One of the things I've always wanted in a husband was brains. He surprises me with how much he knows or how totally nerdy he can be. Last fall semester, he had to start and finish an online accounting class in 2 weeks - the same 2 weeks that he was preparing for and took his finals. Like a piece of cake, this guy got a 97% in the class. How? I don't know. Hopefully, our kids will get his smart genes. 

3. He plays golf (and is great). Come on, how fancy is that? I never had an interest in golf but now that my husband is obsessed with the sport, I think it's great! It takes a lot of skill, practice, concentration, and strength. When Blaine knows that he'll be playing golf the next day, he has a hard time going to sleep because he's so excited. This doesn't happen with anything else other than golf. That's how much he loves it. We have Golf Digest, golf video games, the Golf channel is always on, and we live across from BYU's practice putting grounds. 


4. He's hardworking. He has 2 jobs and works everyday. I appreciate all that he does for me! 

5. He holds me a specific way every night to help me fall asleep. Blaine has no problem going to sleep, even when he's "not tired." I, on the other hand, struggle every night even when I'm dead tired! So he does everything in his power to make me feel comfortable, relaxed, and...sleepy! And if there are times when he falls asleep first anyway, he tells me to wake him up so that I don't have to be awake alone. I don't wake him up often but the few times that I have, he's always there for  me! He's the best cuddler ever! :)

6. He's an amazing family member. Family member = son, brother, uncle, cousin, nephew, grandson. This is one of the first qualities that I noticed and absolutely loved about Blaine. Kids love him. They never leave him alone. When we're around family, he's always playing with them, changing diapers, feeding them or just keeping them entertained. Whenever we go to Idaho to visit Grandma and PopPop, Blaine does something for them. It can be cutting the grass, putting up the Christmas lights, doing dishes after every meal, changing light bulbs - he's put to work. And he does it willingly. He respects and honors his parents. And since he's so great at all of these relationships, I figured he'd make a great husband and one day a wonderful dad and grandfather! 


       


7. He loves Cuban culture. He likes the food, the language, the craziness, the music - everything about it! This is so important to me. I never thought that I'd find a gringo so understanding and accepting of my culture! It's so much fun when he refers to a saying or phrase that is so Cuban, I have no idea what he's talking about. He teaches me certain words and refrans all the time. He dances merengue, salsa, and bachata a lot better than I ever thought he would. There are times when he randomly puts some music on and we dance together in our living room. One thing is for him to learn how to dance and to do it for me, but he genuinely likes it! 

8. He was a great missionary. I'm so proud of Blaine for deciding to serve. He was the first in his nuclear family to do so and is an example for our future kids. Also, I met Blaine while he was serving his mission in Fort Lauderdale. I remember him being the quiet missionary who always had his Spanish flash cards in his pocket to review them whenever he had a chance. When we go back to visit investigators, church members, and converts that he baptized or taught, I can see how much he loved these people and how highly they speak of him. Also, I can see how much he learned about the gospel in these 2 years. There are times when I have some spiritual epiphany or discovery and he's like "yeah, of course" and goes on giving me more doctrinal information. I know that these are all blessings of him being a faithful, full-time missionary! Also, he met me! :)



9. He cooks. Ever since we started dating, we have cooked together for fun. I've loved it and have learned so much in the process. Now that we're married, I find myself doing more of the cooking (obviously). But every so often, I come home from a long day of school and work and there's a yummy dinner already prepared! This actually happened last week. I had boughten Blaine one of Guy Fieri's new cookbooks (Blaine is a fan). When I got home from my last class of the day, I walked into the apartment to smell something good cooking. He was there, with his new cookbook open, whipping up some Dirty Bird Sketti. It was SO good! It's fun that he enjoys good food and cooking. He watches the Food Network with me, especially Chopped. There have also been times when I come home and he's making a meal as Guy Fieri is explaining it on TV. It is so awesome, and so cute. 


10. He's athletic. He plays every sport you can think of, and he plays well. He even danced when he was younger (for about 10 years), and admitted that it helped him be a better athlete. He runs fast, jumps high, and is just so intense with sports. He snowboards and waterskis. I enjoy watching him, but sometimes I also cringe inside. He gets so into it that he almost always ends up getting hurt! The main reason why I like golf the most is because it's so safe compared to everything else! But I am glad that he's sporty and will be able to teach our kids how to throw, kick, catch a ball and all those other sporty things.



11. He's a great hometeacher. This I owe to the great example his dad has given him. He has told me several stories of going hometeaching with his dad, or driving up all the way to New York to go pick up a stranded and gas-less brother from church. He visits every month, no matter how busy he may be. He cares for these people and always tries to help in anyway that he can. He cares more about getting to know them than the numbers. It's not just something to check off his to-do list. 

12. He's into numbers. Blaine is generally smart, but his expertise is numbers (hence, the finance degree). Unfortunately, I abhor math. I just don't get it and it gives me a headache. I can handle the basics but that's about it. I admire people who do like it. And although I don't understand what he's telling me when he gets excited about a particular homework problem, I nod my head and smile. Blaine will be the one teaching our kids Algebra II and up. And I will be forever grateful for that. 

13. He likes the mall. Now this I owe to his mother! This kid could go to the mall everyday. I get sick of the mall faster than he does - and I love shopping. Blaine will never deny an offer to go (window) shopping. He loves trying on different shoes and clothes, seeing what's in style, and searching the sales. He doesn't just like going for himself but for me too. He's very particular about what he buys. It must fit perfectly. I have never had this way of thinking before. I like it, it's cute, I want it, and I get it. But I have learned from Blaine to really see how good a product is. I now see myself thinking about what I buy more. He's very picky and therefore, it takes him several days to make a decision. Once he wanted Vans. We spent a week going to different stores and trying on different styles, sizes, and colors. He finally found some that fit all his criteria, especially the price tag. 


14. He gave me a pretty last name. Now people call me Day Dawson, D. Dawson, Double D, DeeDee. People always compliment me on what a pretty name I have - Daylin Dawson. And I would have to agree! 

15. He has taught me about sports. Not only does Blaine play sports, but he watches them too. As you all know he's a passionate Redskins fan, and I have converted. As a compromise, he has converted to being a Miami Heat fan (Blaine has always loved LeBron). We haven't settled about the Phillies and the Marlins, but I don't think we ever will. But that's ok. Anyway, he takes the time to explain to me what the rules are in football. I'm still learning, but I'll get it soon! I'm part of his family's fantasy league and it's a lot of fun. I'm learning about all the players and positions. I don't know how I lived a life without football before!


16. He's incredibly good-looking :) 



17. He takes an interest in my life. I talk for hours about girl stuff and my "worries". He understands my frustration with my eyebrows and how much I miss my little nail salon back at home. He tries to understand why I need a new dress for his friend's wedding because the rest are worn out. He compliments me on my hair and nail color. He gives me his advice on what I should wear. I talk to him about my friends and their lives. He sings along to all of Taylor Swift's songs with me (his favorite is Enchanted). Although sometimes I'm sure he thinks that I'm crazy and must think that women really are from Venus, he goes along with it and makes me feel valued and understood as a woman!

18. Along the very same lines, he is slightly domesticated. He helps me clean and supports me in decorating our little apartment. At first he didn't understand why I cared so much about decorating our apartment, but he slowly understood and began to enjoy it. He helps me put up vinyls, frames, curtains, shelves, and whatever else I ask of him. He picked out our shower curtain and I couldn't have picked a better one myself! 



19. He wants to be with me always. Blaine is not that type of guy who needs "guy time." If it were up to him, he'd spend every second of his day with me. He wants me to play video games with him, go golfing with him, and do everything that he could do by himself, with him! This is the way it's been from the beginning. When we started dating, we were together every single day. We were inseparable and I liked that. Two years later, he's the same way. 


20. He loves my family. This is extremely important for me because I'm crazy about my family. It literally melts my heart when I see him talking to Ivan on the phone or when out of nowhere he just says  "I miss your family a lot." He gives them kisses and hugs and is the recipient of those as well. He never minds helping them out and is always thinking about them. When we came back from the cruise he said "I miss Bruce and Papo. They're my buddies - kind of like my best friends."


21. He's spontaneous and creative. There are times when I have no idea what's going on in Blaine's head. I just see a little spark in his beautiful blue eyes and I know he's thinking of something crazy. He comes up with the weirdest dates or ideas. He finds different solutions to our problems. He thinks outside of the box - always. 

22. He encourages me and supports me. There are days when I'm just feeling down and he knows exactly what to say or do to give me that much-needed lift. The other day I wanted to skip class. He texted me that I shouldn't miss and that it'd be fun (this is my ASL class). And of course, he was right. He gives me that extra push when I need it. He lets me cry in his arms when I need to. He tells me that everything is going to be alright. He offers his help. He makes me see the brighter side of things. One night, I was craving macaroni and cheese. He isn't fond of boxed macaroni and cheese. It was too late and I didn't want to cook. I didn't ask him to make it either. But he made it and brought it to me in bed. It's the little things like that that make him so special to me and the great husband that he is. 

23. He's so much fun. He makes me laugh everyday. When he proposed, he told me that that's what he wanted to do for me for the rest of our lives and forever. So far, he hasn't failed. Sometimes I laugh at him for being such a particular, quirky guy and at other times, we laugh together. Sister Hinckley once said, “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” And I totally agree. To have a guy who can make you laugh everyday is like medicine for your soul. 

24. He's my best friend, my eternal companion, my soulmate, my love, my better half, my partner, my dreamboy, my prince charming. He is the reason why life is so marvelous and why I look forward to everyday. He is my everything. 


Happy Birthday to the world's greatest husband and friend! I love you and hope you have an amazing day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment