Thursday, November 7, 2013

Halloween

This year Halloween was fun but a little different. Usually, we do a ton of Halloween/fall related activities. But here in Miami, those fall activities are pretty nonexistent. Sure, there are haunted houses and such, but that's not our cup of tea. Anyway, Blaine was supposed to be out of town this year so I didn't plan any costumes for us. But fortunately, his business plans changed and he's been home for the last 3 weeks! Kind of a miracle. He got lucky this year and didn't have to dress up.

My plan was to just dress up as a witch for work with stuff I already had. But that morning, I took Rue to the vet (she's been sick - post on that later) and bought her a Minnie costume on sale - really I couldn't resist. I sent a picture of her in it to my mom, and my mom offered to make me a matching Minnie costume. This was 2 hours before I had to go in to work. She already had some red and white polka-dot fabric and I already had Minnie ears. She sewed up a skirt and put a lace collar on a black shirt in less than an hour. As much as I miss fall and our Utah life sometimes, I really enjoy having my mom around to do awesome stuff like this for me. How she pulls it off? I'm not sure. But she's been doing it ever since I can remember.

The pictures that sparked it all


So I went to work as Minnie and all the little girls I see loved it. I even had one little girl come in dressed as Minnie too. The look on her face was priceless. Halloween was fun at work since most of the kids came in costume.

The north office therapists 
Placed our phones on a table. Excuse the angle. 
Cutest little twins 
Hello Kitty & Minnie Mouse
Thank goodness he knows are to say his r's :)
After work, I went to my aunt's neighborhood to trick-o-treat with the kids. Blaine and Rue met up with me there. It was nice being around for Halloween after missing out on so many. Ulises wore his signature scream costume with a little Miami flair (check out the flip-flops), Uli was some character from Halo and Ivan was Snake Eyes (a ninja from G.I. Joe I believe). Damaris and Bruce were both busy with school and work, so they were missed.

Before heading out
One house had a crazy set up with a cemetery
She loved trick-o-treating but it tired her out 
Blaine was happy to be himself this year :)

Riding home - she was tuckered out
In honor of my mom's awesome spontaneous costume-making, here are some pictures of past Halloweens that show how talented she really is at making costumes. I'm sure there are tons more pictures of us in costume, but she came across these recently and shared them with me. Whatever I wanted to be for Halloween, she made it. Same goes for my brother and sister. No wonder we love Halloween so much. Thanks Mami!

Black cat
Poison Ivy, Mario and a 50s chick
Yes, one year I wanted to be a gypsy - and my mom let me.
All the boys thought I was so cool that year
Tinkerbell

No comments:

Post a Comment