Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Rex Lee Run

Last weekend, I ran the Rex Lee Run. Its a big tradition at BYU and probably the most popular race at BYU. Its in honor of Rex Lee, one of the presidents of BYU who died of cancer. All of the funds go to BYU's Cancer Research program. So I've been pretty excited to run it. First of all, I signed up for the 10k but was notified that due to construction, there would be no 10k course this year. I was bummed. But oh well. The 5k would be fun either way. As I was getting dressed the morning of, Blaine looks out the window and says "I don't think you'll be running today." There was a TON of snow on the ground and much more was coming down. I called BYU and, sure enough, the race was still on. Blaine tried to convince me not to run, but was unsuccessful. And like a crazy person, I ran it.

What we woke up to
 
Where the race began
This probably was one of my least enjoyable races. As you can imagine, running through snow and running while its snowing, isn't fun. It really took a toll on me. Where there wasn't snow, there was a ton of slush. I felt like I was about to fall the whole time! It was driving me insane. I didn't know running in that kind of condition was possible. The snow coming down on my face was really annoying and I'd occassionally get some in my mouth. My toes were absolutely frozen, which made running really uncomfortable. I've ran in cold weather before, but never in snow. In other cold races, I warm up and wish I hadn't worn my long sleeve running shirt. I never warmed up in this race. I drank a protein shake after, but what I really wanted was a huge mug of hot chocolate! Anyway, I've gotten to average an 9:08 mile for 4 miles. So I was hoping to finish in around 28 minutes. But with the snow factor, I finished in 33:11, which I was happy with considering that I didn't fall like so many people around me did. I was really looking forward to this 5k to beat my PR, but I guess I have a new PR for running in the snow...
 
After the race, my shoes were covered in snow.

After running in the snow, Blaine tells me that he had planned for us to go snowmobiling with Uncle Dave, Aunt Cathy, Devin, Bryce, Sarah, Dayna, Tim and Ryan. You can understand why I wasn't really motivated to go, being that I just froze my behind off for half an hour. But I had never been snowmobiling before, Blaine enjoys it, and I wanted to see the kids. So we bundled up and went. Needless to say, I froze for another 4 hours while we snowmobiled. But it was fun. It isn't my favorite thing to do, but I'm glad we went. Sunday came around and I wasn't so glad that we went anymore. I've been sick ever since! Thankfully, the weather is warming up again. But in Utah, you never know if its going to snow again in April, May or even June.

Due to not wanting to freeze our fingers, this was the only picture we managed to get.

With Sarah and Dayna. And yesm they were almost my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment