Friday, March 22, 2013

Rue's 1!

A year ago yesterday, our Ruester was born. We didn't know that she would be ours yet, but we are so happy that we found her and got her! At first, I was really doing this whole dog thing for Blaine, but I have converted to a dog lover. Rue really is a sweet and gentle pup. She has never ever growled at us or bit us or shown any sign of aggression. She is intelligent and obedient (most of the time). She has left my house poopy and pee free and that makes me one happy dog mom. She doesn't drool. She rarely rarely barks. Gosh I love how quiet she is. She usually doesn't shed much, except that we're in shedding season right now and I hate it. Other than that, she has been the best dog I could've asked for.

When we first got her at 8 weeks

She accompanies me when I'm lonely, she cuddles when I want to and leaves me alone when I'm busy. She listens to me talk and wags her tail while doing so and acts like if I'm saying the most interesting and important thing in the world. She eats whatever I put in front of her and never complains. She always makes me feel loved more than anything else (maybe except for Blaine - she loves him a lot). She knows that I will never forget to feed her, brush her, buy her new toys and give her treats and that Blaine probably will. But she knows that Blaine will play with her for hours on end and will let her give him kisses while I'm not a fan.

She loves having people, other dogs, and kids around her. Her BFF is Tess. Her favorite type of treat is anything with blueberries. When she goes potty, she needs to have a toy in her mouth. Really, she has toy in her mouth all the time. She loves her sock monkey and we think her favorite color is purple (even though dogs are colorblind :]). She loves car rides, but goes absolutely crazy for walks. When we want to sleep in, she politely leaves us alone and plays by herself. If we've really slept in for too long, she just stares at us till we wake up. She goes to bed pretty early. When I pick up Blaine from school, I usually take her with me. She watches out for him and can see him when he's far away and her tail starts wagging like a crazy. She loves to drink water. She goes crazy at Petsmart and wants to say hello to everybody - canines and humans alike. All the nurses and doctors at Banfield go crazy for her. She's a star there and knows it. Unlike other dogs, she isnt' crazy about peanut butter. Instead, she loves cream cheese. She loves being outside. She's a master at putting you in a good mood. She can actually "throw" her ball pretty well. She can kick her ball around for about an hour. Blaine likes to think that she'd be good at soccer. When we go for runs, she trots while I feel like I'm sprinting. She's crazy fast and occassionally runs in circles in our backyard like a maniac. Surprisingly so, she enjoys wearing clothes and bandanas. When it was really cold, we put her in a little jacket and she would jump for joy when we reached for it.


Always with a toy in her mouth
 
Watching out for Blaine
Trying to get as many toys as possible in her mouth
She can sit like this for hours...when its not snowing
 
I know that we talk about Rue like she is our child, but until we do have REAL children of our own, she is our baby! She brings so much joy and love into our lives. Ever since we got Rue, I have found myself smiling a lot more. I hope we get to have Rue around for many many more years!

We celebrated by playing with new toys and eating dog-friendly cupcakes (rest assured - Blaine and I did not eat the cupcakes, but Rue sure did). We were supposed to watch Lady and the Tramp (one of my favorite Disney movies growing up) butI had to study for my last midterm of the semester. And yes, I did make her that birthday hat (out of some scrap materials I was getting rid of) and yes, she kept it on for as long as I told her to sit :)

 
 

 

Obviously, she had no clue that it was her birthday, but she did know that something special was going on. Judging by the amount and length of tail-wagging that occurred, Blaine and I concluded that she had a good birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment