Friday, May 13, 2011

"Remember, eyebrows aren't twins - they're sisters"

In preparation for our trip to San Diego, I was making appointments for my mani, pedi, and eyebrow wax today. I decided that I should share a very intimate part of this beautifying experience - my eyebrows.

So for those of you who know me, you know that I am very picky with eyebrows. Ever since I moved out west, I've had serious issues trusting people with my eyebrows. Consequently, I would do my eyebrows every time I visited Miami and would try to keep them as nice till my next visit. It sounds a little extreme but we're talking about my eyebrows here. (My roommate Nina thought I was crazy).

Well, I've let go of my paranoia on several occasions. The first was on a visit to Vegas to see the Culver Family. Stacey had just gotten her eyebrows done and they looked great. So I gave it a shot. Turns out that the girl who waxed her eyebrows had left for the day. I went with some other lady that seemed promising. It wasn't horrific but just not what I wanted. Again, I let them grow and waxed them in the comfort of my trusted Hialeah salon.

My next experience was at Ruth's Salon in Provo. I was at Forever 21 one day and saw this girl with beautiful eyebrows. I asked her where she went to do them and she directed me to Ruth's Salon. It was a little Mexican place. The girl who did my eyebrows actually served her mission in Blaine's ward back at home. That's irrelevant to the story but I thought it was cool. Anyway, same thing. She did an OK job. The price was good and that would be the only thing to bring me back.

For my wedding, I obviously couldn't fly to Miami to get my eyebrows waxed. I was really freaking out because, well, eyebrows are important to me. A friend of mine told me to go to 9 Salon and Spa in South Jordan. Now this time, I was a little bit more comfortable with the way they turned out. But 1) it was pricey, 2) it was all the way in Jordan! 9 Salon and Spa was a lifesaver for my wedding day, and for that I'm extremely grateful, but I won't be returning. Unless they relocate to Orem or Provo...

Now that I am married and won't be returning to Miami for the spring/summer semesters (boo), I set out to find a local wax salon that met my needs. Before heading out to Steamboat Springs, I came across the most adorable little wax salon ever. That wasn't a hyperbole. This young, college-age beauty school graduate chick turned her parents shed into her salon. It's called Wixy Wax. The environment is so cute. It's Ikea-decorated (only an Ikea freak would know that) with lime green walls. She also had Enya, Regina Spektor, and Coldplay playing in the background. She did such a good job at creating a clean, cute, and relaxing atmosphere. First of all, she took me in last minute after she had turned off all of the heating equipment for the day. Second, she spent an hour on my eyebrows. Now, it's not cause she was slow. It's cause I was ridiculous in trying to explain the look that I like - my dream eyebrows. She was extremely patient and understanding. The wax that she used was great for my skin. It didn't cause my skin above my eyebrows to swell or breakout. Best of all, she gave me an upper lip wax for free because I didn't know that she only took cash. It gets better. She has like a frequent diner card program where on your third service, it's half off. Her customer service was amazing. She even emails you a couple days after to make sure if you've had any irritation or allergic reaction. AND if you realized that you didn't love your eyebrows, you can go back within the week for free. I just had a wonderful time.  So, all in all, it was a great experience.

Now, I'm not bragging about my eyebrows at all. They turned out as best as they possibly could. But the truth is, I wasn't blessed with inherently beautiful and luscious eyebrows (or eyelashes), like Kim Kardashian. And I guess that's why I'm obsessed with them.


The real reason I'm rambling on about eyebrows is because I learned an important lesson while at Wiky Wax. After an hour of trying to figure out how I wanted my eyebrows to look, Lana told me "Daylin, remember, eyebrows aren't twins - they're sisters!" Words of wisdom right there. I realized that this whole time I was being unrealistic as to what my poor little eyebrows could be. Besides the fact that they do not grow thick the way I would want them to and that there is a patch that doesn't grow at all (due to a traumatizing wax burn), my eyebrows aren't shaped the same way at all. And I have to live with that. And it's okay! As long as I have somebody that I trust with my eyebrows for the next year and a half while we're in Utah, I'm one happy camper.

If you're still reading this post, then you have just read the history of Daylin's eyebrows. Thank you for caring! 

the end :)

3 comments:

  1. This was way too funny. Although, I have heard all the things you have mentioned in your post, it almost feels like I am listening to it again for the first time!!! Maybe because you are such a good writer!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I understand your eyebrow drama not everyone is gifted enough to do nice eyebrows and on top of that eyebrow you want! Eyebrows do make the face! So I can surely relate to this. I am glad you found a place!!! Btw I too miss the salon in Hialeah! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you understand my phobia lol. I know! Secrets was the best lol.

    ReplyDelete