Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 26

It's my sister, Damaris', birthday. She's turning 23! And this year is the first birthday that I won't be with her to celebrate! So sad. But anyway, I just wanted to share 23 things that I love about my sister. [I saw this on my friend's blog. She did this for her husband's birthday and I just loved it. So I stole the idea :) Thanks Erin!]

1. Sometimes, she leaves me voicemails singing to whatever song is being played in the car on her way home from work. It's hilarious.

2. She understands the ridiculous things that go through my mind. I can talk to her for hours on end about shopping and decorating, etc. - the frivolous things of life.

3. When we go shopping together, she dances in the clothes that she tries on. Again, hilarious. Damaris came up to Provo back in August of 2009 to wedding-dress shop. I had so much fun. Not just because it's one of the funnest experiences you can have as a sister, but because she danced in the dresses she tried on! We had a blast.

4. She's a wiki-face. She wiki's everything and anything. And therefore knows everything. Yes. Everything.

5. She plays the piano. She doesn't play Clair de Lune or anything, but she picked up piano to play hymns. Although we had some piano classes when we were younger, she basically taught herself after our piano teacher sold us out. I find it pretty amazing. I had too much pent up anger towards our piano teacher to continue playing. Jay-kay.

6. She inspired me to love cooking. When she was engaged to Bruce, she always said that she would never have to cook. "Bruce is happy with bagels and cereal." After the wedding, next thing you know, she's into cooking and making all of these yummy meals. It's fun to talk to her about different recipes and, our favorite Food Network chef, Rachael Ray.

7. Damaris keeps me updated with what's "in" on the East Coast. From fashion to music, she's my personal informant.

8. This may be ridiculous but it's the truth. I have trouble going to one particular class and Damaris makes sure that I am awake and on my way to class. She looks out for me 2,557 miles away. Our relationship has managed to go unchanged regardless of the distance. If anything, it has gotten stronger. She contacts me at least once a day. I really appreciate it.

9. She finishes my sentences and understands my jumbled thoughts (not any easy task).

10. She loves Blaine and treats him like a brother!

11. Something that I've recently noticed in sister-sister relationships is that there are sisters who don't agree on the same things or don't have the same interests. Well, Damaris is the coolest sister out there because (literally) we like the same exact things. Music, fashion, food, hobbies, shows, movies, goals...minus the math.

12. When we were young, I'd want to play "casita" (being a mom) and she always wanted to play banker. She has always been motivated and dedicated to school. She is graduating this August with a BA in Accounting and going straight into her masters program ::applause::

13. So not only does she dance in dressing rooms, she dances all the time (randomly). I wish I had access to the pictures of us on a trip to D.C. when we were 10 and 12 years old. There are several pictures of her dancing on the sidewalk and one where she's in an elevator doing the moves in the video "Everybody" by the Backstreet Boys.  Eleven years later, she does the same thing.

14. She's a great example to me and supports me in everything.

15. She buys me things I need/want. I have to be careful when talking to her about these things. I just casually mention that I need/want this or that and next thing you know, I have a package a couple of days later.

16. We share clothes (still). There have been times when I have taken a shirt of hers back to Utah (not purposefully) and left something of mine in Miami. We like to wear each other's newest articles of clothing/accessories when we're reunited. It's fun.

17. She threw the coolest Bachelorette party for me! And was the best Maid of Honor ever.

18. Damaris is extremely giving and aware of everyone's needs. She is a big help to all those who surround her, especially family.

19. She would always be on my side when I was being chastised by Mommy for anything 0:)

20. On the nights that Blaine works, she stays up to talk to me or Skype so that I won't be lonely.

21. She makes life fun.

22. She's beautiful - inside and out.

23. She's my best friend.


Although I won't be with her this day, I hope she feels the love and appreciation that I have for her. She deserves a great birthday! Happy Birthday to the world's greatest sister!

(I'll be there next year!)

3 comments:

  1. Now I have Everybody stuck in my head. Which is great, because I LOVE the Backstreet Boys. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backstreet Boys were and still are the shiz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daylin! I love this! Thanks for making me feel so so special!!! Love youuu!

    ReplyDelete