Sunday, March 18, 2012

What I Do When I'm Sick

I became really really really tired Wednesday night - like at 9pm. That never happens to me and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, in the middle of the night, I started going to the bathroom a lot. I had a stomach virus all through Friday. No fun at all. I felt miserable and really weak!

Tuesday, I took my last midterm of the semester. I was exhausted from all the studying and went to Hobby Lobby as soon as I left the testing center. I haven't been reading for fun or doing anything for fun in a while. So I just wanted to do something that wasn't related to school.

I've been wanting to make a beaded applique headband for a while now. I found some pretty good instructions here. So while I was in bed all Thursday and Friday, I worked on one. I decided to make a mockingjay design to wear when we go watch The Hunger Games this Friday!

What you need.
1. First you have to draw the design you want on broadcloth. I drew a preliminary sketch on paper as practice. You can also just print whatever design you want and trace it. Our printer is broken so I had no choice but to draw it. Then you put it in your embroidery loom.
2. Then you just start sewing the sequins/beads on. 
3. Once you're done, you put a thin layer of white school glue on the back of the applique to seal the thread. It took a couple of hours to dry. 
4. Once the glue is completely dry, you cut out your design. This was the most annoying part.  I had to use my tiny pair of sewing scissors and it took a while. I would suggest getting broadcloth in brown or black so that it doesn't show much against your hair. 
5. Finally, you sew (or glue) your applique to your headband. And that's it! 
It was so much fun to make. There is something so relaxing about embroidery. There isn't much to think about while you're doing it. They're pretty easy and you can make any design you want. I'm so excited to make some more!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa--this is awesome! I've never even seen beaded applique before. Sewing all those sequins on looks intense--I don't know if I'd have the patience!! It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stace! I really like sewing sequins. My mom would have me in charge of sewing the sequins growing up when we made our Christmas stockings. I would just do it before bed to relax. I figured I'd start doing it again :)I was scared of how it was going to turn out, but I'm pretty happy with the results!

      Delete