Friday, April 15, 2011

To the Rescue

One of my goals for 2011 was to get back into reading...like really back into reading. Years ago, I read for leisure everyday - no matter what. I really feel that it helped me intellectually and emotionally. So far, I've read about 2 books this year and now I'm reading President Monson's biography by Heidi S. Swinton. I confess, I've never read a full biography before. I always found them to be boring. When I was sick a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do something productive with my time in bed and started reading "To the Rescue." It has been everything but boring! Maybe it's because I'm reading about a true, prophet of God. I don't know. This biography has made me realize that Thomas S. Monson, who is called "Tom" or "Tommy" by some, is an ordinary man. His life has had ups and downs. He's had to work hard for what he wanted. He had doubts. He was scared. He felt inadequate.  What I find extraordinary about him is that he took those negative feelings and decided to react optimistically. He put his trust in the Lord and knew that everything would work out, as long as he did his best. From his life and example, I am learning great truths. I also feel like I know him just a little bit more, even though I might never meet him. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is God's chosen and anointed vessel to guide us in these latter days. I know that as we strive to keep our lives in line with the counsel of the Prophet, we will be blessed with happiness, peace, and purposeful lives.
I highly recommend this book to anybody - young, old, married, single, parent, Church member, non-member. It will make your day a little brighter to know that people of good character and morals, like Thomas S. Monson, still exist today in a world that is dwindling in values. 

No comments:

Post a Comment