Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What I Miss About Miami...

Miami is a place like none other. Although I'm glad that I left to attend BYU, I miss it tons! Snow is only existent in movies and at Dolphin Mall during holiday hours. You tan by just being outside for 5 minutes. There are no seasons, other than wet and dry. Palm trees are real - not fake. I miss going to the little Cuban salon where (if you put up with some barely intelligible Spanish) you get a good hair cut, mani, pedi, and eyebrow wax for under $50.00. I miss the diversity of food. You can find a little-whole-in-the-wall restaurant for any cuisine you desire. I miss having the beautiful beach so close. There are barely any waves and the water is warm! I didn't know that beaches elsewhere considered August beach water at 68 degrees to be warm! (Reference to Rehoboth Beach, DE). I also miss hearing Spanish constantly. Although Blaine and I try practicing our Spanish together, it has really effected me not hearing native speakers frequently! 
Fashion is also way different in South Florida. For example, lately we've been bumping into some high school students going to prom. The dresses that the girls wear are just a little too much for me. You don't have to be tacky to be modest! Girls wear puffy, neon, glittery dresses that belong on a Barbie - not humans. Back where I come from, evening gowns are much more like what you see on E! or in a magazine. I ran into a girl at Chili's (pre-prom dinner) that was pulling more towards the Miami-style and was absolutely modest. I wanted to go over and give her a high-five. Anyway, fashion is a lot more different than it is over here. Acrylic nails aren't in style, unless they look seriously natural or you're a chonga (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chonga). Also, there are so many unique fashion styles. It's like art! The malls in Miami are just amazing. I have to go to Salt Lake or Vegas to get something comparable. 

MUSIC. Well, I can write a whole book on that. When I lived in Miami, I was always listening to music. For some reason, I don't over here. I don't find out about the latest songs until way after it has reached the east coast. Papo and Damaris try to keep me updated, but it's definitely not the same! 
Above all, I miss my wonderful family. Having them far away  is extremely difficult and lame. They bring so much excitement, happiness, love, and crazy fun into my life. They still manage to do so although they're 2,500 miles away! I miss the hugs and kisses, the random moments of hysterical laughter, shopping trips with the sis, Tia and Mami, Sunday get-togethers, double dates with Damaris & Bruce, being there for Papo, Uli's and Yuyo's sports events, spontaneous trips to Orlando - the list can go on forever. More than anything, I miss having the help and support that can only come from family. You can't compare it to anything else in the world. On the bright side, I'm so grateful for the family that Blaine has out west. They are so much fun to be with. I feel like I've known them forever and was destined to be a part of their lives. I don't know what I'd do without family! 

3 comments:

  1. This post made me cry. I love you Daylin!!!! Although we are miles away, we still have a life ahead of us to do so many things!!!! This is just the beginning if you really think about it.

    PS
    I love Miami more after I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I just read this. I so agree :) I could've written more about Miami. That area of my life could have a blog of its' own.

    Thank you for finally checking out my blog! I love you!

    ReplyDelete