Tuesday, April 3, 2012

General Conference

General Conference was this past weekend. It happens twice a year - once in April and then in October. It is a time where our modern-day prophet and apostles speak to us. It begins Saturday morning and ends Sunday afternoon. There are 4, 2-hour general sessions and one priesthood session for the men. This General Conference was great, just like all the rest. I felt really uplifted and felt that several messages were specifically for me. My favorite part of General Conference has to be hearing our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, and his apostles declare that Christ lives. Ever since I started at BYU, I love the timing of April's General Conference. It always happens right before finals. It helps me relax and remember the things that matter most. 


If you'd like to see what General Conference is all about, you can watch all the sessions here


For the Sunday sessions, I made "Conference Cake." My institute teacher in Miami, Brother Hilton, would always make Conference Cake to entice the youth to watch the Saturday sessions of General Conference. I thought it was a great idea. It's a tradition in his family. I think it's a great way to add some extra excitement to General Conference, so I decided to adopt this tradition to my family. 


So here's the recipe for Conference Cake (from the Hilton Family):

For 1 9x13 pan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Mix together:

1 egg
1 cup milk
¼ cup oil
2 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 TSP salt
Topping

1.5 cups brown sugar (packed)
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1.5 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup butter or margine, soften.

Beat eggs, stir in milk and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy.

Put flour on your hands and smush down the batter as you put it in the pan.

Put onto pan. For the topping, mix the first four ingredients, then cut in butter until well mixed. Put on the topping and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the topping is crisp.





I am grateful for the opportunity to belong to a church where we have the restored priesthood and are guided by a  living prophet. I'm looking forward to rereading the talks given. I am excited for October's General Conference. But in the meanwhile, I'll try working on the things that I learned this past weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment