Monday, April 14, 2014

New Mexico

In March, I went to New Mexico for a week to take care of Miles, Tyson and Trey while Stacey & Chris were in Africa trying to get Nyla and Omari home. Unfortunately, the kids still aren't home. But I had a great time visiting the world's cutest nephews and hanging out with Eileen. Chris' parents were with us for the first 3 days to help us orient ourselves with the Air Force base and kids' schedules. Base-living was strange but nice at the same time. It felt weird how nice and regulated everything was but I felt very safe and loved the routine of it all. I also enjoyed listening to the national anthem at 4:30 PM everyday and stopping to salute to the flag. It made me really reflect on the blessing it is to live in this country and how grateful I am for those who protect my freedoms. 

It's all a blur now (should've blogged about it sooner) but it was so nice to see the boys. They've grown up so much! They're still as sweet, well-behaved, silly and smart as ever. Miles was really helpful in telling us what to do and how to do it or where to find things. He would remind us about things all the time, like "snack time is in an hour and 5 minutes." Snack time is a serious event. Tyson was also very helpful and would let us know when he's had enough sugar. What type of kid does that? I loved it. Trey was actually pretty verbal and would say things over and over again. He was my snuggle buddy for the trip since the older boys ran away from my signs of affection laughing hysterically. Of course, my week was full of cars, trucks, trains, airplanes, superheroes, bad guys and all things "boy."

Tired faces make for good snuggling.
He ran around the house scaring me with these. 

We did lots of the same things everyday - wake up, eat breakfast, take Miles to school, snack time, nap time, lunch time, crafts, play at the park, pick up Miles from school, snack time again, do homework, dinner, baths, read books and scriptures, etc etc. But I loved every minute of it. I loved seeing the boys play together and listening to them talk to each other (one day I was sick and the kids saw me vomit. The rest of the day they pretended to be vomiting whenever they played on their own - it was pretty funny). I was constantly impressed with how smart they are. I guess since I work with low-functioning children I was amazed at how much these able-bodied and normally developing, healthy kiddos are. Miles is reading like a champ and still loves to learn new things (he would constantly ask the meaning of words or how things worked or why things were a certain way).

Miles reading his scripture stories.
So impressed and humbled by the diligence this little man has. 
We went to the BX and Commissary a ton and we ALWAYS got this cart.
I don't remember the order of what we did very well, but here are some pictures of some fun things we did while we were there.

Before Chris' parents left, we had an early birthday celebration for Trey. We had a hamburger chocolate cake and small presents for him.










On St. Patrick's Day during craft time, Tyson made a rainbow coming out of a pot of gold with fingerpaint. He's pretty artistic and creative. The most calm I ever saw Tyson was while he was doing some sort of craft. He focuses on what he's doing so much!

Saw this at Tyson's school and thought it was so funny.
Hard at work


We visited the Old Apple Barn. We had delicious fudge and yummy apple cider ice. Unfortunately for me, I was very sick that day and all that yumminess came up the second we got home. I was on the couch sleeping for the rest of the day - only getting up to rush to the bathroom. It was horrible! But thank goodness that it only lasted for a day and that none of the boys got whatever bug I had.





We went to the park right across the street a couple of times. We also played in the park at Miles' school while we waited for him to get out of class. Trey was really brave and would go down a huge slide. I was impressed.

Walking with me to get the mail.


One day while Trey was napping and Miles was at school, Tyson and I made cookies. We made chocolate M&M cookies and they were so good! Tyson was really helpful in the kitchen. He followed directions perfectly and helped me measure the ingredients we needed. I explained to him what a sous chef was and that he was my little sous chef. He thought "sous" was a funny word.




I learned about Disney Junior tv shows. My favorites were Doc McStuffins and Paw Patrol. So cute and so fun. Yes - I enjoyed them. And now I'm in the know at work with my patients.


I got to have late-night talks with my mother-in-law, Eileen whom I love very much. It was good to have another adult helping out and to talk to. At night, we would sit down and watch Duck Dynasty or just chat for a little bit. We were able to catch up a lot!

I experienced part of the mom life. I drove a mini van (and surprisingly liked it). I also found that it was incredibly easy for me to be dirty all the time. One day, I discovered spaghetti sauce on my watch (rock solid) after wearing it like that for 2 days straight. I also experienced waking up early despite having woken up in the middle of the night several times due to Tyson's coughing and losing sleep worrying about him. This trip just confirmed to me how truly amazing moms are, because I was tired! And that's that we had awesome sisters from the Relief Society in Stacey's ward helping out with dinner. How do these women do it all?



The last full day that I was there, we went to White Sands National Monument. It was gorgeous. We brought sledding discs but were unsuccessful in sledding down the hills. According to Miles, we didn't go to the "big good ones." But it was still very fun. We ran up and down the hills and played in the sand. When we were done, we had the chocolate M&M cookies as a snack.






Miles tried selling us "free salt." He was quite the business man, arguing that this was the best kind. 

It was very windy as you can tell by Tyson's face.
I love these boys. So happy to be their aunt! 

I wish I could've stayed longer. Going back home broke my heart. I missed them so much the first couple of days of being home. But I am so glad that I was able to be with them for a little bit. These kids are growing up so fast and it kills me not being around more often. It also broke my heart that Nyla & Omari weren't on their way home when I left. But I know that they will be home sooner than later. I can't wait till the Culver clan moves to the East Coast and is joined with 2 more little ones to love.
Reading to them on my last night there.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love this post! The pictures are so great. I know the boys had such a good time when you were here and we're so grateful that you were able to come visit. (And I love the picture of you driving the van!)

    ReplyDelete