Friday, July 22, 2011

Harry Potter

After eating some yummy Thai food, Blaine and I went to the see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 last Friday. We had to go all the way to SLC to find a showing that wasn't sold out! We didn't get to go to the midnight showing due to work and class (boo).  Regardless, we loved loved loved the movie! I wasn't disappointed at all! Blaine and I got Netflix in June just to watch all 7 movies before July 15th. Blaine hasn't read the books and was never really into Harry Potter. To my surprise, my efforts to convert him were successful! After the movie was over, he said he was sad because his Harry Potter stage lasted a month in comparison to the 11 years that I had. I thought that was so funny. Poor Blaine. I think going to Harry Potter World in December helped him be more open to Harry Potter. His mom read the first book to him but that's about it.

Blaine rarely reads. I have subscribed him to some magazines (Fortune 500 and Golf Digest) just so that he can read something. We've read some books together in the past. But there is no way that he will finish a book by himself voluntarily. I think the best thing that has happened to me because of Harry Potter is that Blaine said he wanted to read the books! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We're talking about a guy who has read a handful of books in his 23 years of life and who thinks any book over 100 pages is "huge." I can't wait till he sees the size of the Order of the Phoenix (870 pages!) hahaha. Anyway, he's pretty serious about this so we're going to have to buy a boxed set soon! I'm crossing my fingers that maybe, just maybe this will create the habit of reading in Blaine!

In The Daily Universe (BYU's newspaper), there was the cutest little cartoon of Harry Potter. It was simple and so accurate. It had two screens - one depicting little kids running into the theater with a sign that read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and the other showing those same kids all grown, (but with the same excitement) running into a theater showing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I'm not one to clip newspapers (unless I'm couponing haha) but I had to save that! I remember when the first book came out Damaris bought the book and read it super fast. She was hooked. She's not one for reading either (she's always been into numbers more). Anyway after I was done with it, I asked her if my best friend Daniela could borrow it. After much hesitation, Damaris said OK. Daniela returned the book and it was all beat up. To make matters worse, she didn't even like it. Damaris was so mad at me for lending her the book! I had to go buy another one for her. Every book after that, we'd have to fight to see who would get to read it first and we'd bother the other about ruining the end or complaining that she was taking too long. It was ridiculous. This happened even when we were in high school. The last book came out a year after my sister graduated and we still acted like little girls. Anyway, Harry Potter was a big part of our childhood. It is such a great series. I hope that one day my kids will be able to enjoy it half as much as I did! 

Blaine and I in front of the Three Broomsticks (12/2010).


No comments:

Post a Comment